Growing up, we’ve all been told to drink two litres of water a day to stay hydrated and healthy. However, it’s also super important to keep our skin just as hydrated. After all, our skin is our body’s biggest organ, so we should do our best to protect it and keep it looking and feeling healthy.
Keeping your skin hydrated not only keeps your skin feeling fresh but boast a whole heap of benefits:
- Slows down the ageing process of your skin by keeping it hydrated. Retaining moisture in your skin will make your face less prone to wrinkles, and keep you looking younger, for longer.
- Hydration improves the appearance of your skin. As well as minimising wrinkles, you’ll be glowing, looking healthy, awake and vibrant.
- Toxins, stay away. Keeping your skin hydrated and moisturised will get rid of dirty toxins and other chemicals to maintain the health of your skin.
- Maintain a balance. A common misconception is that using moisturiser on oily skin, will build up more oil. When using the right moisturiser for your skin type, the moisturiser will actually fight excess oils and give your skin a more balanced complexion.
- As mentioned above, choosing moisturisers fit for your skin type is essential., Moisturisers that are oil-based are great for dry skin, but for oily skin, water-based moisturisers containing hyaluronic acid are fantastic. Hyaluronic acid absorbs water from outside and brings it into your skin. This creates healthy-looking, supple, moisturised, hydrated skin that looks smooth and wrinkle-free. Hyaluronic acid is actually already a part of our body, but ageing, pollution and sun exposure reduces the amount we have, and decreases its impact. To counteract this, using products containing the acid is essential to bring it back to the desired level. BondiChic’s REJUVEN8 Cream and Four Seasons Envi Hydrating Moisturiser-Night cream both contain hyaluronic acid.
- Reduce sensitivity. Maintaining the health and hydration of your skin will reduce its sensitivity to irritants and germs, for a long-lasting soothing effect.
- By keeping your skin moistened, hydrated and balanced, this reduces the occurrence of skin problems such as acne and breakouts, giving you the confidence to step out into the world every day.
Our Step-By-Step Guide to Skin Hydration
(1) Wash your face using a facial cleanser, like BondiChic’s True Blue Cleanser, to get rid of the dirt and impurities that have built up on your skin throughout the day.
(2) After giving your face a good clean and clearing out your pores, don’t dry your face in a harsh rubbing motion, but by gently dabbing, to maintain moisture.
(3) Still feeling fresh, use a hydrating toner such as the True Blue Zinc Ionised Blue Mountains Natural Spring Water Toner to tighten your pores and stop other micro contaminants getting in. Toner also can help remove minerals and chlorine from the tap water you’ve used to rinse your face in the previous step.
(4) Applying our Four Seasons Bio Enzyme Essence Serum on top of your toner to feed your skin with extra active ingredients, as well as assist in minimising your pores and giving your skin an overall smooth, restored feeling.
(5) Seal in all the benefits and even out the balance of your skin with a water-boosting moisturiser using our Four Seasons Envi Hydrating Moisturiser-Night. Moisturise every day to maintain a healthy glow and keep your skin hydrated.
(6) Keep your face feeling fresh and hydrated throughout the day using a facial spray such as the Four Seasons Hydrating Mist. This will give your skin much-needed hydration especially during cold, winter days.
(7) Use a hydrating mask a few times a week to give your skin extra hydration and benefits to keep it feeling alive and healthy!
(8) Protect your skin from the sun throughout the week using SPF products such as the True Blue Urban Multi-Defence Day (SPF 15, PA+).
(9) One last tip to avoid dehydration is to avoid scalding hot showers. Exposing your skin to hot water for long periods of time strips your skin of its moisture. Instead, shower in lukewarm water and later up in moisturiser once you get out, while your skin is damp to lock in the moisture.
If you follow this guide and our tips, tell us how you went! We’d love to hear how these tips and our products have helped hydrate and refresh your skin! We’re excited to chat with you on Facebook or Instagram.